37 Oliva Court 866 440-8702 Voice Mail 781 446-7630
Stoughton, MA 02072-4934 GilSwire@bwwonline.com
A highly experienced senior software engineer with demonstrated ability to conceive, document and implement manual and automated tests, test plans and test procedures. Through team building with customer support and software development I help devise methods to isolate, analyze, and diagnose problems and find innovative approaches to testing and verification. I bring a wealth of test methodology know-how combined with a passion for working closely with peers and developers to uncover problems and find effective solutions. My goal is to help an organization 1) expand test coverage, 2) meet schedule requirements, 3) improve the quality and performance of our product and 4) expand its automation technology base.
Skills and Accomplishments
- Taught myself PERL and designed and wrote a test program to read and execute test suites, for the 3Com’s Janeway project, to regression test a 96 modem chassis card. My test program provided full coverage for all modem configuration commands saving 1.5 man days of testing per code revision. Code was extendable to perform end to end testing.
- Developed Microsoft Visual Basic macros which generated test cases for my Janeway regression test program from my test plan doc further reducing development time.
- On my own initiative created a test bed using CrossTalk and Procomm Plus to regression and stress test Microcom’s parallel port modem on live phone lines using 20 desktops and laptops allowing us to meet the FCS deadline with higher quality.
- Developed an innovative automated test system for the Codex 9000 Integrated Network Management System by expanding the Codex Command Line Interface (CLI) language into a programmable language. Wrote programs allowing the entire Quality Assurance group to run automated functional and regression tests on modems which improved product reliability and reduced manual testing by 1 man day per revision.
- Wrote Test Plans and Test Procedures for QA group to test OAMP (Operations, Administration, Maintenance and Provisioning) user interfaces for the Wildfire Enterprise Project.
- Designed, wrote and implemented a test plan for BBN for the Korean Network Management System, a CORBA based network management and report generating system, for the Armed Forces of the Republic of Korea.
- Enhanced existing stress tests uncovering a critical bug in Sequoia’s mirrored disk storage system. Received award for accomplishment.
- Wrote test plans and schedules and executed stress and performance tests to integrate new products and peripherals into Sequoia’s high availability systems.
- Wrote and executed test plans for Y2K testing of applications and hardware.
- Used Microsoft Visual Basic macros to create and format test cases (including over 2000 pages of screen captures) in support of BBN’s ISYSCON to the exacting demands of the Department Of Defense. Made possible the completion of the project on time without additional hired clerical help.
- Ran performance tests using the TAS 2000 Telephone Network Emulator and 240 Voiceband Loop Emulator
- Recommended to marketing, sales, customer service and product launch teams system configurations which enhanced performance, data integrity and system availability to fulfill customer requirements.
- Coordinated with firmware and software development groups to assure all defects were addressed. Verified all Microcom Deskporte Fast driver fixes and maintained and disseminated information from the Deskporte defect database.
- Lead meetings to prioritize defects. Followed up to ensure fixes were verified and closed. Extended and maintained their bug database using Claris FileMaker.
- Conducted design, code and test plan reviews. As acting liaison between software development and quality assurance groups insured that the CLI tool would fully meet both customer and quality assurance requirements.
Software Languages And Protocols Hardware
- Solaris, Unix, UnixWare, Linux, DOS ·
Compaq, Sun, Mac, Sequoia
- PERL, C, TcL, C shell, Microsoft Visual Basic ·
TAS 2000 Telephone Network Emulator
- Crosstalk, ProComm ·
RAID storage arrays, Digiboard
- WinRunner, QA Partner/SILK, SQA Robot ·
- T1 PRI, TCP/IP, Token Ring, X.25
TRINITY CHURCH, Canton MA
Senior Facilities Manager, 1997-present
Assistant Facilities Manager, 1993-1996
Collaborate with the board to forcast the budget and administer the annual operating budget. Analyse the needs of the facility and develop, implement and enforce new policies, and procedures to enhance quality, control cost and improve safety within the facility. Supervise the assistant facilities manager and contractors.
- Draft and/or negotiate contracts for facilities maintenance including roof replacement ($140K), HVAC, remodeling, electrical, fire and security, exterior painting, siding and parking lot paving.
- Negotiated and/or drafted lease arrangements for renters.
- Led lease negotiations with Cellular telephone company for the erection of a cellular transmission tower (~$500K).
- Worked with the town board of selectman, zoning board of appeals, board of health, building inspectors and others to assure that all applicable laws and regulations were adhered to.
- Organized and chaired committees to assess needs and and bring forword recommendations.
- Purchased and installed computer system in the church and trained novice users to effectively use Microsoft applications.
Omni Marketing, Rockland, MA April 2002 - Present
Developer of Automated Telephone systems for lead generation for Marketing and Sales support
Customer Service Assistant
- Provided telephone customer support for the sales and marketing to 12+ retailers.
- Independently developed strategies for promoting sales and overcoming objections.
- Consistently met or exceeded expectations.
Wildfire Corporation, Waltham, MA June 2001 - January 2002
Developer of Automated Telephone Assistant systems software
3Com Corporation, Marlboro, MA June 1999 - May 2001
Developer of Remote Access Server hardware and software.
- Tested code, logged defects, and verified fixes using Tracker defect tracking system.
BBN CORP., Cambridge, MA December 1996-June 1999
Developer of advanced wired and wireless networks, speech recognition systems and acoustic systems for industry and defense.
Software Quality Engineer
SEQUOIA SYSTEMS, INC., Marlboro, MA June 94-Sept 96
Manufacturer and supplier of fault tolerant and high availability Unix based systems.
Product Assurance Engineer
COMMUNICATIONS SOFTWARE, INC., Melrose, MA March 94-May 94
A startup company specializing in high speed PC networking over serial and parallel ports
Tested Remote Access Disk Drive(RAD2) software user interface and performed document review and verification of the users guide
MICROCOM, INC., Norwood, MA August 93- Feb 94
A manufacturer of modems, routers and Lan Access hardware and software.
CAYMAN SYSTEMS, INC., Cambridge, MA September 92-March 93
A manufacturer of "Gator" brand LocalTalk to Ethernet & Ethernet to Ethernet routers and Unix to AppleTalk print and file servers.
MOTOROLA CODEX, Canton, MA February 88-January 92
A manufacturer of data communications and network management systems.
Quality Assurance Boston Computer School
PERL In house Training Program
Advanced C, Integrated Computer Systems, Inc.
Windows NT Workstation and NT Server In house Training Program
Basic Project Management & Time Management Worcester Polytechnic Institute
B.S. Hobart College, Geneva, NY Major: Biology Minor: Computer Science